Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sketchbook - Easter 2011


I wish I had more free time to work on personal projects, which is a dilemma I'm sure any creative person experiences on a daily basis. One of my side projects is to illustrate segments of the Bible as illustrated posters. The Bible has such visual imagery, it's a symbolic goldmine of illustration. I'm constantly awash in ideas for illustrating the spiritual concepts taught by the book.

With Easter just past us, I thought I'd upload one of my biblical sketches since it corresponds to the holiday. Colossians chapter 2 has this amazing image of spiritual redemption.  It says that the sins of humanity were nailed to the cross with Christ, and that the blood from his body ruined the record of our evils. I took that passage and combined it with another that talks about Christ gaining the keys to death at the end of time. The result is an image that isn't something you'd normally associate with Easter, but it's one that I feel has more weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment